Please carefully read and follow the Museum Rules, GCA Rules, General Information, and Timetable for Exhibitors.
1. Registration is required between Monday, September 12, 2016, and Tuesday, January 31, 2017, by registering online at flohouston.org.
2. Exhibitors are permitted only one entry per class, but may enter more than one class. An exhibitor may have one partner per entry. All participants must be listed on the online entry form.
3. Class entry fee must be paid at time of registration using the Entry Fee Payment Form (page 65). Entry fee includes canvas and finishing, but does not include threads that must be selected and purchased by exhibitor.
4. Canvases will be distributed upon receipt of registration and entry fee.
5. If forced to withdraw, the exhibitor(s) must notify the Division Chairmen and find a substitute unless there is a waiting list for the class. Canvases, if provided, must be returned if a class is withdrawn.
6. There are no thread requirements. Beading is allowed.
7. All canvases will be finished in the same style by the Needle Arts Committee.
8. Consultants may be used for the design of the stitches.
9. Each entry must be the work of the exhibitor(s) under whose name(s) it is registered. All handiwork must be executed by the exhibitor(s).
10. If an exhibit has won first place or a GCA Special Award in a GCA Flower Show, a GCA Major Flower Show, or Sanctioned Non-GCA Major Flower Show, it may not be entered in competition again. An exhibit which has been previously entered and did not place first may be entered again if the piece is significantly altered.
11. Exhibitors may ship or deliver entry/entries to Weezie Johnston, 401 West 17th St., Houston, TX, 77008. Entries must be received no later than Monday, February 6, 2017.
12. All entries will be passed by the Needle Arts Committee to verify class specifications have been met. If time permits, an entry may be returned for correction.
13. The Committee will be responsible for the installation of the exhibits. Each exhibit will be handled with the utmost care.
14. Scale of points by which the classes are to be judged:
- Design: 35
- Craftsmanship: 30
- Creativity: 15
- Interpretation of Theme: 10
- Distinction: 10
- Total: 100
15. All entries must be removed on Wednesday, April 26, 5:15–6:00 p.m. For an additional charge, an out-of-town exhibitor’s entry may be returned by completing the Return Shipping Form (page 67).
By e-mail at any time. By telephone weekdays, 9:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m. Central Time.
Betsy Garibaldi, Betsy.firstname.lastname@example.org, 713-927-4666
Weezie Johnston, email@example.com, 713-299-0136
Create the illusion of a view from a glass-bottom boat designed by the exhibitor with her own fibers for a finished size of 4” x 6” on an 18-count mesh canvas. Three dimensional stitching is encouraged. Canvas will be mounted inside a wooden shadow box. The book A–Z of Stumpwork, canvas, and shadow box provided by the Committee. Top and outside of shadow box should be painted and embellished to best enhance your stitched canvas. Do not finish or mount your own canvas. Mounting and finishing must be completed by the Committee. Viewed from above.
Division: Division IV.B: Needle Arts, Currents Location: Gallery 207 Fee: $50 (Download Entry Fee Form)
Hand-painted canvas of a bird with a shell provided by the Committee, stitched by the exhibitor with her own fibers and embellishments on a provided 4” diameter round 18-count mesh canvas. Canvas painted by Vicki Sawyer and sourced through Melissa Shirley. Finishing as an ornament provided by the Committee. Viewed from the front.
Division: Division IV.B: Needle Arts, Currents Location: Gallery 207 Fee: $125 (Download Entry Fee Form)
Hand-painted canvas of a fish provided by the Committee and stitched by the exhibitor with her own fibers and embellishments on a 9” x 6” 13-count mesh canvas, painted by John Johannsen and sourced through Melissa Shirley. Finishing provided by the Committee. Viewed from the front.
Division: Division IV.B: Needle Arts, Currents Location: Gallery 207 Fee: $150 (Download Entry Fee Form)