Please carefully read and follow the MFAH Rules, GCA Rules, General Information, Division Guidelines, and Timetable for Exhibitors.
1. Registration opens Thursday, August 17, 2018, at 9:00 a.m. CST, and closes Thursday, November 1, 2018, online at flohouston.org.
2. Exhibitors are permitted only one entry per class, but may enter more than one class.
3. The exhibitor(s) under whose name(s) the entry has been registered must create and complete the design. All participants must be listed.
4. No more than two exhibitors may execute an entry.
5. Class entry fee must be paid at time of registration. Entry fee includes canvas
and finishing, but does not include threads that must be selected and purchased by exhibitor.
6. Canvases will be distributed upon receipt of registration and entry fee. If the exhibitor is from out of town, please add $20 to the entry fee to cover the cost of returning the entry.
7. If forced to withdraw, the exhibitor(s) must notify the Division Chairs and find a substitute unless there is a waiting list for the class. Canvases, if provided, must be returned if a class is withdrawn.
8. There are no thread requirements. Beading is allowed.
9. All canvases will be finished in the same style, by the Needle Arts Committee.
10. Consultants may be used for the design of the stitches.
11. If an exhibit has won first place or a GCA Special Award in a GCA Flower Show, a GCA Major Flower Show or Sanctioned Non-GCA Major Flower Show, it may not be entered in competition again. An exhibit that has been previously entered and did not win first place, may be entered again if the piece is significantly altered. Details of the previous entry, including Show location, date, and alterations made, are to be provided to the Committee at registration.
12. Exhibitors may ship or deliver entries to Estelle Lozmack, 4010 Essex Lane, Houston, TX, 77027. Entries must be received no later than Friday, February 1, 2019.
13. All entries will be passed by the Needle Arts Committee on Monday, February 4, 2019, to verify class specifications have been met. If time permits, an entry may be returned for correction.
14. The Committee will install all of the exhibits. Each exhibit will be handled with the utmost care, though the Committee assumes no responsibility for damage, loss, or personal injury before, during, or after the show.
15. Scale of points by which the classes are to be judged:
- Design – 35
- Craftsmanship – 30
- Creativity – 15
- Interpretation of Theme – 10
- Distinction – 10
- Total – 100
16. All entries must be removed on Wednesday, April 17, 2019, between 5:15–6:00 p.m.
An interpretation of Spring, Summer, Winter, or Fall created by the exhibitor, using her own fibers for a finished size of approximately 6 1/2” x 6 1/2” on an 18-count mesh canvas. Three-dimensional stitching is encouraged. Canvas will be mounted inside a wooden box. The book Ribbon Embroidery and Stumpwork: Over 30 Flower Designs by Di Van Neikerk, canvas, and wooden box provided by the Committee. Top and outside of the wooden box should be painted and embellished to best enhance your stitched canvas. Do not finish or mount your canvas; mounting and finishing must be completed by the Committee. Viewed from above.
Division: Division IV.B: Needle Arts, A Stitch in Time Location: Gallery 203 Fee: $50
Hand-painted canvas of a flower provided by the Committee, stitched by the exhibitor with her own fibers and embellishments on a provided 4 1/2” diameter round 18-count mesh canvas painted by Ann Wheat Pace. Finishing and mounting inside an alarm clock provided by the Committee. Viewed from the front.
Division: Division IV.B: Needle Arts, A Stitch in Time Location: Gallery 203 Fee: $100
Hand-painted canvas of an hourglass provided by the Committee and stitched by the exhibitor with her own fibers and embellishments on a 6” x 7” 18-count mesh canvas painted by Colors of Praise. Finishing provided by the Committee. Viewed from the front.
Division: Division IV.B: Needle Arts, A Stitch in Time Location: Gallery 203 Fee: $150