Please carefully read and follow the MFAH Rules, GCA Rules, General Information, Division Guidelines, and Timetable for Exhibitors.
1. Registration opens Monday, September 17, 2018, at 9:00 a.m. CST, and closes Wednesday, January 23, 2019, online at flohouston.wpengine.com.
2. Exhibitors are permitted only one entry per class, but may enter more than one class. The exhibitor(s) under whose name(s) the entry has been registered must create and complete the design. All participants must be listed.
3. No more than two exhibitors may execute an entry.
4. Mounts will be supplied to the exhibitor upon registration.
5. If forced to withdraw, the exhibitor(s) must notify the Division Chairs and then find
a substitute unless there is a waiting list for the class. Mounts, if provided to exhibitor, must be returned to the Committee, if a class is withdrawn.
6. All plant material must be dried. This includes flowers, foliage, seeds, pods, nuts (in or out of shells), vegetables, twigs, vines, reeds, etc. Only plant material, mechanics, and their surface treatments (i.e. paints, nail polishes, varnishes, waxes, etc.) are permitted. Artificial, endangered, and locally invasive plant material may not be used.
7. Figural forms must be assembled or judiciously carved by the exhibitor. Any plant material may be cut, incised, or shaped to enhance artistic effect.
8. Non-plant material (i.e. cardboard, metal, twine, string, cording) may be used only for construction and must not show for Classes 1–4. Class 5 is restricted solely to the use of pressed flowers and foliage.
9. Each exhibit must be the work of the exhibitors(s) under whose name(s) it is registered. All handiwork must be executed by the exhibitor(s).
10. Processed products may not be included in design (e.g., couscous, pasta, tapioca, balsa wood).
11. A sample card must accompany each entry when it is entered. An untreated sample of each plant material used in the design, correctly identified with botanical and common names, should be affixed to a 4” x 6” unlined white card.
12. A statement of intent is required of no more than 25 words should be submitted using the entry form online at flohouston.wpengine.com by Monday, April 1, 2019. Changes may be made at the show.
13. If an exhibit has won first place or a GCA Special Award in a GCA Flower Show, a GCA Major Flower Show, or a Sanctioned Non-GCA Major Flower Show, it may not be entered in competition again. An exhibit, which has been previously entered and did not place first, may be entered again if the piece is significantly altered. Details of the previous entry including Show location, date, and alterations made are to be provided to the Committee at registration.
14. Entries must be received by April 1, 2019. Exhibitors may ship or deliver
entry/entries and required sample key card to Isabel Lummis, 3431 Inwood Drive, Houston, TX 77019. All entries mailed must be accompanied by a photograph.
15. Exhibitors absent from the show may indicate, in writing, another individual authorized to make any repairs to the exhibitor’s entry. Contact information must be provided. 16. All entries will be passed by the Botanical Arts Committee to verify class specification have been met. If time permits, an entry may be returned for correction.
17. The Committee will be responsible for the installation of the exhibits. Each exhibit will be handled with the utmost care, though the Committee assumes no responsibility for damage, loss, or personal injury before, during, or after the show. Indicate in writing, and include with exhibit, any special instructions for display.
18. Scale of points by which the classes are to be judged.
- Design – 35
- Craftsmanship – 30
- Creativity – 15
- Interpretation of Theme – 10
- Distinction – 10
- Total – 100
19. Please label all items turned in with the exhibit, on back, with the entry number, in case they are separated from the exhibit. 20. All entries must be removed on Wednesday, April 17, 2019, between 5:15–6:00 p.m. For a flat fee of $20, an out-of-town exhibitor’s entry may be returned by completing the Return Shipping Form on flohouston.wpengine.com at the time of registration.
By e-mail at any time. By telephone weekdays, 9:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m. Central Time.
Mundi Elam, email@example.com, 713-703-4331
Lynn Wilson, firstname.lastname@example.org, 713-478-4114