Please carefully read and follow the GCA Rules, Museum Rules, General Information, and the Timetable for Exhibitors.
- Registration is open and online only at flohouston.org from Tuesday, September 20, 2022, through Monday, January 30, 2023.
- Exhibitors are permitted only one exhibit in each class, but may enter more than one class. No more than two exhibitors may execute a Botanical Arts entry unless otherwise stated in the schedule. All participants must be listed on the entry card. Botanical Arts Chairs are permitted to enter, provided they do not receive the completed entries in the mail.
- If forced to withdraw, the exhibitor must notify the Division Chair and the class consultant and find a substitute unless there is a waiting list for the class.
- All plant material used must be dried—this includes flowers, foliage, seeds, pods, nuts (in or out of shells), vegetables, twigs, vines, reeds, etc. Only plant material, mechanics, and their surface treatments (e.g., paints, nail polishes, varnishes, waxes, etc.) are permitted. Exhibitors may not use glitter, artificial, or endangered and locally invasive plant materials.
- Figural forms must be assembled or judiciously carved by the exhibitor. Any plant material may be cut, incised, or shaped to enhance the artistic effect.
- Non-plant material (e.g., cardboard, metal, twine, string, cording, etc.) may be used only for construction and must not show.
- Exhibitors may not use processed products or manufactured materials (e.g., couscous, pasta, tapioca, balsa wood, milled wood, toothpicks, loose glitter or thick coatings of resins or epoxy).
- Each entry must be the work of the exhibitor under whose name it is registered. The exhibitor must execute all handiwork.
- Botanical Couture entries must be created from all dried plant material. While the plant material may be treated, no mechanics or structural base may be visible.
- Mounts will be supplied to the entrant upon registration.
- A sample/key card on an unlined 4” x 6” index card must accompany each exhibit. Affix a sample of each untreated plant material used in the design and label with botanical and common names.
- A statement of intent of 25 words or less is required and must be submitted with the entry form. A statement of intent is a brief written paragraph offering explanation of the exhibit’s message that the exhibitor intends to convey.
- All mailed entries must include a photograph and must be received no sooner than Monday, March 23, 2023, and no later than Monday, April 3, 2023. Send entries to Virginia Mary Brown, 5530 Tupper Lake Drive Houston, TX 77056. Inquiries may be directed to Virginia Mary Brown by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at 713-562-2507.
- Hand-delivered entries are encouraged and may be turned in at the MFAH on Tuesday, April 25, 2023, between 1:00 p.m.—5:00 p.m. The entrant must stay until the entry has been passed.
- If an exhibit has won first place or a GCA Special Award in a GCA Flower Show, GCA Major Flower Show, or Sanctioned Non-GCA Major Flower Show, it may not be entered in competition again. An exhibit, which has been previously entered and did not place ﬁrst, may be entered again if the piece is significantly altered.
- The Botanical Arts Chairs will review all mailed entries to verify that class specifications have been met. If time permits, an entry may be returned for correction.
- The Botanical Arts Chairs will be responsible for installation of the exhibits. Each exhibit will be handled with the utmost care. Indicate in writing, and include with the exhibit, any special instructions for handling and display.
- All entries must be removed on Friday, April 28, 2023, between 8:00 a.m.–10:00 a.m. For an additional charge, an out-of-town exhibitor’s entry may be returned by a shipping service.
Scale of points
- Design: 35
- Craftsmanship: 30
- Creativity: 15
- Interpretation of theme: 10
- Distinction: 10
- Total: 100
Questions regarding class requirements may be directed to Jenny Kempner or Carole Bailey by email or phone between 9:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m. CST.
Botanical Arts Chairs